Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sent off with style (and a big mess)

To recap my last week at McGrath's...Thursday I found the live Roosters in my office, Friday I found my car covered in Saran Wrap and filled to the top with packing peanuts and feathers so I knew my last day Saturday I was in trouble.

All day I walked with my back to the wall. I spent a lot of time in the office with the door shut and every time I caught a glimpse of movement within 10 feet I jumped in the air and shouted karate Hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah! to scare away any potential attackers. Wow did I freak out a group of old ladies stading up from their tables to go to the bathroom when I did that to them. Hey, it saved them the trip to the bathroom anyway.

So the day was coming to a close and my guard was slowly being let down. I was told that after the two days before they were very rough on me that today was going to be "all good" and I actually started to believe them.

One of the Managers Kim told me the group of staff had gathered and they wanted to give me a gift. I was touched and went out to see them. Sure enough they had a gift bag loaded with amazing presents for both Lea and I including engraved wine glasses, a very nice bottle of Cabernet and a Gift Card for the Mariner's.

While Kim was talking, a crazy bartender (one of the culprits in all the previous pranks) shook my hand and thanked me for having a good sense of humor. While I was distracted, the Executive Chef Geoff had snuck up behind me with two big containers of beer batter. You can see the photo's to see how it went from there :)

It was a lot of fun this week and I am very grateful to everyone who sent me off in such style. It was a privilege to work with you all!

I am now ready as ever and incredibly excited to start the next chapter in our lives at the Hard Rock Cafe!


A day later I am still pulling globs of beer batter out of my ears!

the glamorous time after the jokes over :)
Shaking hands with my replacement...little does he know ;)
A great group of people!
This couldn't have been easy...I'm not a lightweight ya know.
So long McGrath's...Hard Rock Cafe Here I Come!

2 comments:

Randy said...

Wow...

On one hand, it could not have happened to a better person. On the other hand, I'm glad it was you and NOT me...what a mess!

:)

But hey...you're gone, right? No mess to clean up.

Congratulations. I'm sure it's very hard to walk away after two decades of serving the Fish House. You've seen a LOT of changes my friend.

Anonymous said...

hey what you do in the privacy of your own kitchen is up to you, i just suggest keeping a towel nearby.
Unca J