Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Whale of a Tale!


Today was the day for the Photographer Challenge I was hosting out of Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands.

Those of you not from around here may or may not realize that the past few days have represented some of the most bizarre "Spring" weather I have ever seen. Yesterday and the Day we had anywhere from 6 to 8 inches of snow covering the ground. This morning at Very Early Oclock my good buddy Terry whom I blogged about previously picked up my other good buddy Chad whom I have never blogged about and I and we headed up to Anacortes. On the hour long drive we started under gray sky, cold weather...drove into sprinkling rain, followed by a steady drizzle, into an intense rain with limited visibility followed by massive snow fall.

I'm not going to lie. I was a bit concerned about the weather. We met up with the rest of the group at the ferry terminal and everyone shared the same apprehension about the weather. As the Ferry approached Friday Harbor however, a miracle occurred! The clouds parted, the sky turned blue and the sun shone! It became one of the most beautiful days I've seen in a long while.

We headed out on my favorite boat the Western Prince and spent 4 hours cruising the Sound finding Big Horn Rams, Fallow Deer, Dahl's Porpoises, Harbor Seals, huuuuge Stellar Sea Lions and more. It was a great trip with great travelling companions. This is a photo of everyone except the Boar family who traveled down from Canada for the trip. They stayed on overnight and were not on the ferry home where this photo was taken.

Please be sure to check back later this week as everyone is going to send me 3 of their favorite photo's of the day to be shown here. You will have the chance to participate in our contest and vote for your favorite image. The winning image will be printed as a 16X24 Standout (my new favorite print size and style) for the photographer responsible for the image.

No comments: