Saturday, March 31, 2012

Paul Rodgers at the D&R Theater in Aberdeen, WA

It was in San Francisco I was first truly introduced to the awesome music of Paul Rodgers. I've always known his music and can sing along to a pretty large number of his impressive list of hits but I never really appreciated the intensity and diversity until then. Whenever his video would hit the screen at the "restaurant" I worked for there was a server named Aisha that no matter where she was or what she was doing she would immediately scream at the top of her lungs "PAUL RODGERRRRRRRSSSS!" and she would run through the dining room whooping it up and singing along. I kid you not, once I saw her taking an order at a table when the video came on..she scared the crap out of her guests by instantly screaming in their face. It was awesome! Ever since, any time I hear a Paul Rodgers song or his name I instantly think of her. She now lives in Seattle with one of my favorite people on the planet Alex the Greek (who by no coincidence looks quite a bit like Paul Rodgers...hmmm) and is the lead singer of an all girl Soundgarden tribute band called Bleed Together. They are headlining at Neumo's on Monday 4/9 and you should go! I put a photo of them I shot a few weeks ago below in the photo gallery.

I digress...shooting for VerbicideMagazine.Com my features editor worked me onto the list of photographers for the Paul Rodgers show in Aberdeen at the BEAUTIFUL D&R Theater. His camp had written back and given me authorization to shoot the entire set which is very rare. They are considering using my photos for the Paul Rodgers web site which would be amazing! Shooting in Aberdeen on a stormy night is not as easy as it sounds. It took me the better part of 4 hours to get down there through rush hour traffic then another 2 and a half to get back. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The word epic is thrown around a lot these days and often it's an exaggeration. I can't think of a different word to describe this show though and I think it doesn't quite cover it.

Paul Rodgers epitomizes the word COOL! From the second he hit the stage until the end of the 2nd encore he was spinning his mic stand, jamming on the piano and blowing the crowds mind with intense, spot on perfect vocals for every one of his amazing songs. I shot over 1,900 photos that night and I would say that through 90% of the show I was singing along with him. So much fun! On lead guitar was one of the founding members of a band destined for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Heart Howard Leese. I had met him and several other members of Heart at the Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle (photo below, I'm the bald fat guy with the long beard on the right :) Talk about a guitar legend! I would forget to shoot when he was playing as I was captivated by his breathtaking skill and awe inspiring stage presence.

The entire night was one I will not forget. If you get a chance to see Paul Rodgers perform you have got to do it!


















No comments: