Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Capitol Hill Block Party 2011

The Capitol Hill Block Party is not your typical cul-de-sac get together with neighbors sharing soda pop and barbecued hot dogs while watching their kids race bikes up the street. Instead it's a massive festival loaded with booze and food and great music! Thousands of people crowd the streets to take in the scene. There are many places to watch bands play with the main stage featuring a select few bands.

It's a 3 day event but I was only able to make it for the final day on Sunday. This worked out for me because one of my favorite bands My Goodness opened the day on the Main stage with a killer performance.

Following My Goodness was the Posies high flying, spit filled, intense performance.

Later the Battles took the stage and performed what I was later told was called "Math Rock." Their My Space Page classifies them as experimental/Fusion Rock. Either way, they were awesome. With Ian Williams playing two keyboards and a guitar simultaneously, John Stanier destroying the drums and Dave Konopka keeping it cool on the Bass their timing was flawless and the music was amazing.

I went off to shoot the End Session featuring My Goodness came back to catch Explosions in the Sky who closed out the event with rhythmic music that had the crowd rising and falling at it's whim.

It was my first time at the Capitol Hill Block Party but definitely not my last!




















No comments: