Monday, May 23, 2011

Cage the Elephant and Hugo in Seattle

Yes, I know I am a terrible blogger as far as punctuality is concerned but as mentioned in a previous post Facebook had taken away my focus. I'm going to try to catch up over the next couple of weeks..

Back in January, 2011 rock bands Hugo and Cage the Elephant performed to a very limited number of invited guests of 107.7 The End at the EMP. I've been to most if not all the End Sessions over the past year and a half or so and I would have to say this one was my favorite.

Hugo performed a several of their songs including their hit 99 Problems (and the bitch ain't one). The sound was tight and they were very entertaining.







After their performance I had to run backstage to upload my photos before Cage the Elephant took the stage. There was a man and woman sitting in front of my computer playing Connect 4. The board was nearly full and the girl won the game. The started over and she beat him much quicker. "Dang dude, she is kicking your ass!" I told him as my pics started to load. I ran back out to get my spot at the stage in time for the Cage the Elephant performance. Moments later the Connect 4 guy took the stage and I realized he was the lead singer Matt Shultz! Backstage, Matt was very mellow and low key. The second he grabbed the microphone it was on! The dude can seriously rock! He very much reminded me of Kurt Cobaine in both his appearance and his uninhibited stage presence. I was blown away and ever since the show I've become a big fan. Their newest CD Thank You Happy Birthday is a lot rowdier than their single Shake Me Down had originally lead me to believe it would be but I like it...a lot. Kind of a Butthole Surfers/Suicidal Tendencies vibe to a lot of the tunes and each is diverse. It seems hard to put Cage in any one category so don't even try.






No comments: